Thursday, November 17, 2011

Best Meatloaf Ever, and Sweet Potato Fries

Saturday 5 November
Though I usually dislike the "America's Test Kitchen" TV show, I got a couple of tips from them that helped me (i.e., Barbara) make the Best Meatloaf Ever.  One "secret" was to use half ground beef, half ground pork; the other was to make a panade, i.e. whiz up a bunch of saltines into about a half cup of crumbs in the robocoupe and then whip in about a quarter cup of milk and two eggs.  That got mushed into the meat.  Unfortunately, I don't know which secret made the big difference; both would have been anathema in the kosher home I grew up in. 
Otherwise, the seasonings went like thisthough I added about a quarter cup of wheat bran, since I thought the panade wasn't enough in the breadcrumb department.
We also made these sweet potato fries in a separate tray.  You don't need to mix the spices and oil beforehand and toss in a bowl, really, just lay the potatoes out on the tray, drizzle with oil, toss them about, premix the dry spices, sprinkle them on the potatoes, and toss again.
Served with lashings of ketchup.  Did I say?  Best.  Meatloaf.  Ever.

No comments: